30 September 2011

Soleil de Tan de Chanel – Bronzing Makeup Base (Former Universal Bronzer)



Finally. I got my hands. On this. Product.
And it’s beautiful. *.*


  “The velvety finish of this light cream-gel bronzer leaves your skin with a beautiful sun-kissed look. Wear it on its own to enhance your complexion or for a hint of outdoors radiance, over or under your favorite CHANEL Foundation
-from Chanel website

The description found on the Chanel website is totally true, it has a velvet finish, and it does gives you a sun-kissed glow.  The cream-gel consistency blends in really well with foundation or directly onto skin, but like every cream product, you need to work it with a good dense brush to get the seamless and from within effect, otherwise it will only sit on your cheeks and look blotchy.  

The colour isn’t very reddish, tending to yellow/golden undertones (It’s number 30 according to Chanel website..), which could be complicated to pull off if you are too pale or cool toned, it can look a bit orangey if applied too much, but in general it is suitable as bronzer for fair skin tones up to medium-olive complexions like mine . I could imagine this as a very suitable highlighter for darker skin tones (MAC NC 50/Chanel 050 and above), but I never seen or tried like this, so I can’t guarantee.

Above: With Flash, Below: Natural Light
Swatch for Olive Skin Tones, MAC NC35/40

It is a shimmery product though, and I don’t recommend it for contouring, as the shimmer particles will reflect light and it will look funny (at least to me) under your cheek bones. It is indeed a BRONZING cream, to be used on the high points of face or as a overall tan. Having said that, the shimmer isn’t glittery, and the sheen it’s very discreet. You don’t get the disco-ball look, but a beautiful healthy glow to your skin.


I like to apply it with a dense soft brush, to get a airbrushed effect, either a Kabuki Flat Top  or Blush Angled Brush (White hair), both from Sigma. A very soft brush will not do the job, as the product is almost a solid cream, and you wouldn’t get anything loaded on your brush or be able to blend it correctly.




The packaging is a big jar with a lid you should unscrew nicely; it holds 30g product; the overall jar quality is exquisit as expected. Like almost all the other Chanel products, follows the black/white/gold patterns. It looks nice on your vanity :)


I had high expectations about this bronzer and they were all happily met. I’ve heard many people saying it’s not worth the hype, but I guess they couldn’t find a good application method / the right brush.


So far so good, I just said the good points. Now to the down side. IT IS DIFFICULT to find it - at least in Germany. I’ve been to many many many many Chanel counters and stores last year and none of them had Soleil de Tan in stock, but I can’t guarantee this information it is true. Mainly because 90% of the Shop assistants actually didn’t know the product. Most of them said I was confused or meant something else and ALL of them tried to sell me something similar. So perhaps there are LOADS and loads of Universal Bronzers in the back of Chanel counter drawers expiring.


I found mine randomly, at Galeria Kaufhof in Nürnberg, and I had to lecture the shop assistant about the product. When I found the tester (which was wrongly placed at “Teint Innocente” tester) and I asked for the full size jar, she said it was something they didn’t have anymore. I said they must have it and made her look all the boxes in the drawer, until she finally found it. Even after finding it, she tried to change my mind.
I mean, why? Why nobody knows about it? I don’t understand Chanel Marketing strategy.

Second point is Price. It is a luxury product, and be prepared to paid around 40 € for it. But worth every cent! And it smells DIVINE!!!!! (Wonder if they had this as a Fragance...)  
Have you got Chanel Bronzer? Planning getting one? What's your favorite bronzer?



Product: Bronzer
Quantity: 30g
Consistency: Cream (Hard, solid)
Colour: Chanel 30, medium/tan tone
Suitable for: All Skin Types
Price: about 40€
Where to find: Chanel counters with luck, and fight!



No comments:

Post a Comment