15 November 2011

Microdermabrasion and Wishlist!

Last week I had a Microdermabrasion treatment done at a beauty clinic and it loved it! But what is Microdermabrasion?

Microdermabrasion is a facial treatment which consists of an intense physical peeling session, usually done by a professional beautician/esthetician in a beauty clinic, that removes a thin superficial layer of skin by abrasion. The treatment is done by an equipment that looks a like a pencil, attached to a machine that will create a light suction and the at the tip of this pencil, when in contact your your skin, it will create an intensive flow of micro crystals or micro diamond particles. Those particles will be tossed onto your skin and lift the dead cells and superficial skin layers.  
The Machine
Now you ask, what is Microdermabrasion good for? Well, my main problem is, at the moment, acne scars - many mini, physical and dark colored acne scars - and everybody know I try everything on earth - scrubs, gel peeling, corrector serums,  chemical peelings, etc - to make my scars go away, but they seem to fight for their right to party on my face, so I decided to go for the extra mile.

The opportunity to try it out - not for the first time - came with a Groupon offer of 3 MD treatments from 200 euros for 59. Considering the amount of money I spend with creams and acids, I thought I wouldn’t hurt to give it a try and find out if my skin need this bit extra of help.

Microdermabrasion is also great for reducing fine lines and wrinkles, discolouration in general, reduce large pores and all the good stuff. It basically makes the surface of skin smoother, therefore younger looking. And I’m also totally in for less pores and fine lines reducing! It was a WIN Groupon.

First, the beautician prepares you for the peeling, starting with cleansing, to remove impurities and eventual makeup from face, neck and chest. Next she used Ultrasound massage pads to help the lower skin tissues be adjusted and deep oil break-up. This was a vibrating relaxing moment :)

Then after 20 minutes preparation, the exfoliation starts. She will use the pencil all over your face and neck, eventual chest, with adjusted crystal flow intensity and you feel like she’s scrubbing a small stone onto your skin. I have a very high pain threshold so I asked to super intense and it was ok, but you might check out first. After some minutes I even got a bit asleep :D

Mask face
With Dermatologica Professional Products
 After another 15-20 minutes intensive exfoliation, you do feel your skin rough and thin, but the professional get it back in track with a gentle moisturising mask - mine was something with passion fruit, so yummy - for about 15 minutes and finishes off rinsing it off and applying sun screen, although it was 6 pm already. She said it’s very important not to go tanning for 3 days at least after the treatment and always use sun protection at all times, even at night and plenty of moisturiser. You are exposing a very thin and delicate layer of skin for a couple of days and it need to be protected against permanent sun damages and pollution. I do use sun screen SPF 45 and moisturiser normally, so I didn’t need to take the extra care, like everybody shouldn’t either, because that’s what we should do everyday, after or not a microdermabrasion treatment!

I could see little improvement after 2 treatments, but the esthetician said that clearly apparent or drastic results are to be seen after 6 - 8 treatments. After all, the improvement I got in 2 sessions in 3 weeks came much faster than using scrubs and cream peelings in the same amount of time. My skin was SO SOFT and the pores a bit tighter. I’m not sure if reduced scars, but I think eventually this treatment would make them less visible, at least. I’d totally recommend this treat as a mild way to achieve better looking skin, without the harshness of lasers and strong chemical peeling, that can make your skin flake badly, and VERY sensitive. I’ve seen people during laser treatments and GOSH, much had a whole layer of skin peeling at once, like an Croissant Pastry. Definitely faster treatment, but totally not social friendly.

But pay attention! You do get some little harsh spots on your face, like little scratches and little red spots, but totally “coverable” with a tinted moisturiser! At the end, because they were a Dermatologica Salon, I bought a Trial set of the Dermatologica Daily Microfoliant and Washing Gel and might give you my thoughts later on.

The treatment costs normally 89 euros per session (it can vary from location and demand, that’s just what it costs at MY clinic) and buying more sessions as a pack gets cheaper, but still an expensive luxury treatment. At the moment I have my eyes on the PORTABLE PMD Personal Microdermabrasion System, retailing for 179 Dollars the basic set. This little machine promises comparable results to a professionally MD, and it saves you a lot of money! As you see, the price for a Kit is the same as less then 2 sessions! I have high hopes for it and It’s definitely in my Wishlist!
Have you had Microdermabrasion done professionally before?  Do you own any microdermabrasion machines or products?

                                                   

1 comment: